If you’re following more than a thousand people on Twitter, you know that it can be hard to keep track of specific people. When you “follow” someone, your main Twitter stream gets more frenetic, and soon you need to refresh every five seconds to keep up. All the sudden, those really helpful people who share genuinely valuable content are just part of the rest of the noise, and Twitter becomes a massive time-suck.
That’s where Twitter lists come in! Use them to organize people based on topic or interests, so you can easily keep tabs on them in a way that’s far less overwhelming than scouring your primary Twitter stream. You don’t need to follow someone to add them to a list. Let’s create a list now:
How to create a new Twitter list
Twitter, for whatever reason, likes to hide their best feature. So if you don’t know how to create a Twitter list, don’t panic — you’re not the only one.
1. Click on your avatar in the top navigation, and click Lists.
2. Click Create New List on the right-hand side of the screen.
3. Enter a name and description for your list, and choose whether your list is public or private. If you make your list public, anyone you add to your list will receive a notification that you’ve added them to this specific list. Also, anyone else on Twitter can subscribe to your list. However, if you make your list private, you can stalk people to your heart’s content without having to follow them, and they won’t be any the wiser.
4. Add anyone to your list by going to their profile, clicking the gear icon next to the Follow button, and clicking Add or remove from lists…
5. Check the list or multiple lists you’d like to add this person to, and click the X button to close the popover. There is no save button because Twitter likes to make a lot of sense in that way.
How to keep tabs of your list
1. Install Tweetdeck. Tweetdeck is now owned by Twitter, and lets you view multiple streams in one view. I personally use the Chrome extension, and I love it.
2. Click the plus sign (+) in the left-hand navigation, and click Lists.
3. Choose your list and click Add Column.
How to create a new Twitter list on mobile
Twitter likes to hide their list functionality in all different ways on mobile, so I thought the instructions worth including.
1. Tap the Me tab in the bottom navigation. Tap the gear icon, then Lists.
2. Click the plus sign in the top-right corner to create a new list.
3. Enter the name and description of your list, choose whether it’s public or private, and tap Save.
4. To add someone to your Twitter list, navigate to someone’s profile, tap the gear icon, then Add/remove from lists.
*BONUS STEP* On mobile, there’s an easy way to quickly add people to lists. Just navigate to your list, then tap Edit.
Tap Manage Members, and then you can easily search for people and quickly add them to your list.
Want to share this post? Here are some ready-made tweets:
Click to Tweet: How to Use Twitter Lists to Easily Follow Specific Groups – http://bit.ly/1qVN92A via @DianaUrban #TwitterTip
Click to Tweet: Twitter too overwhelming? Organize your favorite people into Twitter lists. Here’s how – http://bit.ly/1qVN92A
Click to Tweet: Check out this #TwitterTip for creating Twitter lists so you can easily keep tabs of specific groups – http://bit.ly/1qVN92A
Photo Credit: Sprout Social